Sunday, January 16, 2011

It's me vs. The stairs





We're supposed to work out/be active every day, per WW suggestion. They define it in 'points' but it basically works out to about 30 minutes of moderate activity or 20 minutes of intense. (I think later they want us to build up to more.) So, my plan is to work out on my lunch on work days, that way if I'm too tired when I get home at least I've done the minimum. On day one I walked 20 minutes and yesterday I walked 30. (woo-hoo!)
Today on my way to work it was a little icky and rainy, and seeing as my mascara is not waterproof, I decided to walk the stairs inside. They hardly ever get used and have a door on both ends, so they're in their own little room. Easy-peasy-lemon-sqeezy. I had heard that stairstepping/climbing is supposed to be super good for the heart (that's never bad), plus, it would be considered 'intense' so only 20 minutes required. Heart healthy, time saver and no racoon eyes? Sign me up!

I almost passed out after TWO MINUTES. I'm not even kidding a little bit, those stairs are so freakin' HARD! Is there a level above intense? Because I got there- and I OWNED it. My heart was pounding so hard I almost couldn't get an in focus picture with my phone. I didn't make my original goal of 20 minutes, but I went 10. That's 8 minutes past seeing the stars and birdies circling my head. I'd call that a small victory. I might have went longer, but dizziness + cement stairs do not equal good times. So I finished out the last 10 minutes with a walk around the building. (never fear, the rain had slowed a bit, so there was no mascara runnage) Added bonus of the walk is it was sooo nice to get out in the breeze after all my huffing and puffing.
Although they kicked my butt, I think the stairs are here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment