Saturday, January 15, 2011

on my way to a new me!

me91610

 
Does that post sound too optimistic? I'm feeling pretty optimistic, I'm not gonna lie. Today is my second day on Weight Watchers.  Although I know it's not going to be a walk in the park, I can't help but feel excited about the changes I'm making. I've half-heartedly tried to be healthy and lose weight before, only to give up after a few days because I was overwhelmeld, confused or, let's face it, just plain lazy. This time it feels different though. (cliche after cliche, please bear with me.) I was telling my mom the other night, I think the reason it feels different this time is because it's not just that I want to lose weight or that I'm super motivated, because I've been there before. It's that I actually feel like I can lose weight. Even after 2 days I already feel like I have the tools and knowledge I need to do this. I feel like I'm in control of the results, instead of wondering if what I'm doing will even work.

 
My Stats:
height: 4'10" (If you have a short joke, I've heard it before.)
starting weight: 205lbs
(as of 1/13, my first meeting)
immediate goal: 195lbs
end goal: 105lbs

 
the end goal I'm not set in stone on, but 100lbs to lose seemed like a nice round number. For my height the ideal weight is between 96-120lbs, so 105 is middle-ish. I don't think I want to set it at 120 and be teetering on the edge of an 'unhealthy' BMI. If I'm going to do this, I'm going to do this. But I can reevaluate when I get closer, maybe check and see what the doctor says I should be.

 
I've always been heavy, not very active and an unhealthy eater to boot. I wish I could say that it was genetics, or a health condition, or a super busy lifestyle that got (and kept) me where I am, but it's not. Here's the truth: I am one of the laziest people I know. Honestly. And not just couch potato lazy, but lazy about dreams and goals. I didn't make a lot because I was afraid of bailing out or failing. Another problem was when I did make goals, or want to change, I would always be of the all-or-nothing, go-big-or-go-home mentality. I get easily overwhelmed anyway, so I'd take on too many changes only to drop them after a short while because I couldn't process it.
Weight Watchers has everyone start out with a small goal, 5-10%. So the all-or-nothing, go-big-or-go-home part of me sort of balked at that. 5%? come on! But the other part of me, the part that's dying to hike with her husband, shop in normal stores, not worry about health issues? She's a little excited about it. 5% of my weight is 10 lbs, which, although I have a lot more to lose, is no small feat. I know that small goals (which equals victories more often) will be super helpful. I'm already looking forward to hitting that 10 pound mark. and after that is the 10% (20lbs) mark, and when you hit that Weight Watchers gives you a key chain. Can I just tell you I love keychains? When I was a kid I had handfuls of them before I even had any keys to put on them. I've slimmed down my keychain collection considerably, so I'm definitely open to adding some bling. And from the pictures I saw online, it's pretty cute. The really cool thing is anytime you hit big milestones, they give you a charm to put on it. LOVE IT! Who wouldn't love it?

I'll leave you with some reasons I want to lose weight:
  • reduce risk of certain diseases
  • prepare my body for when we decide to have kids
  • have more energy
  • fight depression
  • be able to participate in sports and outdoor activities
  • shop in normal stores for CUTE clothes
  • confidence
  • better mood
  • the keychain, obviously

2 comments:

  1. What an honest post! I'm surely not brave enough to publish my weight on the internet, let alone admit it's my fault! I'm impressed and I can't wait to read about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be honest, I was super hesitant to post my weight. It's embarassing, and not something I usually divulge. But then I figured when that number becomes 'where I was' and ceases to be 'where I am' then maybe it will lose some of its power. Plus, I've tried other ways to no avail, so I figure maybe I'll embarass myself into a smaller size, haha. :) thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete